Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Raw Words day one


The summer of 2006 was one of the most memorable ones of my adult life. My dad lived in Big Springs Texas, 11 hours from Westminster , Colorado. He offered to have me come and spend three weeks with him traveling between texas, oklahoma, and more of texas. I had just broken up with preston and thought that it was going to be the best option I could have asked for. Besides I had not spent more then a day with my father in a long time.
Knowing that I had to rent a car and drive to texas alone, I requested the aid of my friends to burn me CD's. Josiah burned me every, single Ben Folds album because at the time I was obsessed and felt cool listening to it. Justin made me sweet a mix that opened my mind to such bands as yellow card and some other band that he would be disappointed I forgot the name of. Shoot, if i could only remember. Then liz made me three or four silly songs CD's to keep me awake and Snooky made me some betharoni mix's as well. It is of note, to express that those mix CD's are of the most valuable and loved of any I have ever received.
The night before I left, Justin and Josiah stayed up all night watching movies and then came over to make me breakfast. I think it was something like three or four in the morning. Again, something that I treasure to this day.
As I set out on my own, in my shiny silver honda civic rental car- my all time favorite care- I was proud of myself for doing such a brave and simple thing. Little did I know about the summer that awaited me and how the events and conversations, somehow shaped the tone for how the next seven years of my life would proceed. That it would be the last time I can clearly define who I was and the last time I remember being confident in my life and its purpose. Ultimately, it was the last summer I was protected my by ignorance and began to loose my innocence.

Danielle is someone who has been a part of my life and seems to say just the right thing at the perfect time. She mentioned a writing challenge over the next month and I am thinking of participating, this is my attempt. There is no editing no, going back and redoing, only raw words....

Elizabeth M, longs to write words

No comments:

Post a Comment